Congratulations to Matt Cahill, who will be working with Buckrider Books/Wolsak & Wynn and editor Paul Vermeersch on RADIOLAND, coming out Fall 2022!
The wonderful Escape Plans (Invisible Publishing) now has an audiobook out, thanks to ECW Press. It’s a wonderful read, of love, family duty, and the costs of that duty, and the spaces in between. Teri Vlassapoulos’s prose is wonderfully poignant and less purple than her agent’s.
Anyway, buy it. Buy the book. Buy five, give it to your family. Convince them to never leave home, or at least never leave past a ten-kilometre radius of you.
Click on the cover for more information!
Michelle Bilodeau, co-author of HOLY (!) MATRIMONY, was on CTV’s The Social talking about celebrity-approved clean beauty products to add to your skincare routine!
Happy Friday! I’m thrilled to announce two deals:
- The Quiet is Loud by Samantha Garner: Freya Tanangco, whose adult life has been spent in hiding from the troubled literary legacy created by her author father, and from the scrutiny of a society which subjects those with enhanced mental abilities to scorn and violence; when her prophetic dreams take a dangerous turn, she finds herself increasingly forced to sacrifice her own anonymity—and the fragile safety that comes with it—in order to protect those around her. Sold to Bryan Ibeas @ Invisible Publishing, for Fall 2021 publication.
- Letters to Amelia, by Lindsay Zier-Vogel, in which Grace, a heartbroken 30-something library tech in Toronto, begins to piece her life back together by reading letters from and writing letters to Amelia Earhart, the famous pilot who disappeared over the Pacific Ocean in 1937. When Grace’s life takes another turn, she becomes consumed by Amelia’s final flight and begins excavating the pilot’s life to makes sense of her own. Sold to Bookhug, for Fall 2022 publication.
I’ll be helping to handle translation and other rights for these titles.
It’s the time of year when most of us will be travelling and going on vacations (except me, I’m always working). So, here’s a handy guide from The New York Times on tipping while travelling, featuring etiquette expert Karen Cleveland (who also happens to be the co-author of the upcoming Holy (!) Matrimony)!
Catch Erika Nielsen talking about Sound Mind on Global’s The Morning Show!
We’re thrilled to report the following deals!
- World English Audio rights for A.G. Pasquella‘s Yard Dog and Carve the Heart, sold to Dreamscape Audio, for November 2019 publication.
- In Holy (!) Matrimony: A Modern Guide to Conscious Coupling, Toronto writers Karen Cleveland and Michelle Bilodeau take on the wedding industry. Equal parts modern wedding planning guide and feminist manifesto, the book encourages couples to take a critical eye to their nuptials by questioning manufactured “traditions”, outlandish budgets, and the omnipresent pressure for perfection. North American English rights sold to Dundurn Press, for Spring 2021 publication.
- Field Notes from an Unintentional Birder by Julia Zarankin is a thoughtful and witty memoir that follows the author’s peregrinations as she discovers an unexpected passion for birding, along with a new understanding of the world and her own place in it. North American English rights sold to Douglas & McIntyre, for Spring 2020 publication.
In the United States, over 32 million Americans have food allergies, including 18 million children under the age of 18. (Food Allergy Research & Education) In Canada, there are 2.6 million, including 500,000 children, who live with food allergies that need to be managed on a daily basis. (Food Allergy Canada). These numbers are increasing, but the amount and quality of resources to help cope has been scarce.
On Thursday May 30, join Amanda Orlando (author and creator of Everyday Allergen-Free) as she launches EVERYONE’S WELCOME: THE ART OF LIVING AND EATING ALLERGEN-FREE. There will be a discussion about the book and living with allergies, and samples from the cookbook. There will be books for sale, and a signing.
May 30, 7pm-8pm
Indigo Books (Bay Bloor)
55 Bloor Street East, Toronto, Ontario
Hope to see you there!